We’re Greenhous Group Holdings, one of the largest and most diverse Automotive Groups in the UK. And you may be surprised to learn that we sell over 100,000 vehicles every year!
Despite our size, we’re still a privately owned business, meaning that we’re ideally positioned to understand the automotive market and nimble enough to adapt to the ever changing requirements of this exciting sector. Our history stretches back almost to the beginning of the last century.
Founded in 1912 by Vincent Greenhous, the group quickly established its credentials with the likes of General Motors. Indeed we were one of the first Vauxhall dealers to be appointed in the UK. Following a number of management buyouts, the last of which came in 2004, our business has diversified into new areas and as a group we can now offer a range of services, from vehicle refurbishment and logistics through to retail, from a number of locations across the UK. And we’re proud too to say we work with some of the largest manufacturers, fleets and leasing companies, not only in the UK, but in the world.
Vincent Greenhous started in Shrewsbury at a yard in Meadow Place. Staff was just one man and a boy.
Greenhous develops links with General Motors handling vehicles like
the Oldsmobile, Oakland, Marquette, Buick & Chevrolet. Greenhous was appointed as one of the first Vauxhall dealers in the UK.
The Telford business was acquired and despite immense difficulties the
company kept going through the war years, and immediately afterwards
expanded it’s operations. The company also set up in Wrexham (1936),
Hereford & Lyde (1957) and Welshpool (1957).
A depot was opened in Whitchurch. A new handling company was
formed (VG cars) to handle distribution of Renault, Jaguar and Rover cars.
The acquisition of our Hanley dealership (1982) saw the growth of
Greenhous into one of the largest dealers in the country – a feat held
almost each year during the 1990′s. A new bodycentre opened in
Fenton (Hanley) in 1989.
In 1992 a new site opened at Shrewsbury for DAF/LDV, followed by
new Vauxhall premises in Shrewsbury. In 1999 Greenhous also
acquired a Vaxhaull site at Newcastle. 1999 also saw GRS set up a new headquarters in Shrewsbury.
GRS in launched with a team of 2 people working out of a portakabin. Pioneers of vehicle remarketing in the UK, GRS quickly established itself as a vital part of the Greenhous Group.
In 2002 we purchased our state of the art 36 acre Logistics Centre in Cold Meece, Staffordshire. Capable of holding 4,500 vehicles at any one time, over 1/2 million vehicles have been processed to date.
Greenhous undergo a management buy out by two directors – Kerry Finnon and Derek Passant.
Appointed as GM’s remarketing partner in the UK.
Greenhous is listed in the Times Deloitte Top Track 100 – listing Britain’s biggest private companies. Listed at number 67 it had climbed 6 places from 2007.
In 2009 we were proud to add VW Commercials to our franchise portfolio.
Our expansion continues as we acquire both Techprep and WA Lewis.
We expand further, adding a new logistics facility in Long Bennington, Lincolnshire.
Inception of refurbishment contract with key customer Motability. Significant investment within industry-leading sites, expanding capabilities and capacity
Acquisition of Fleet Solutions which added de-fleet operations in Scotland to the Group.
Acquisition of Commercial Fleet Services, expanded commercial vehicle operations into the adjoining greater Birmingham area.
State-of-the-art fleet PDI site opened in High Ercall, development cost of £5m
Acquisition of Adams Morey truck dealers expanding our retail operations into the south of England.